Monday 22 October 2012

garlic fever part deux

The jist of the last couple of weeks has pretty much been harvest, harvest, harvest.  The root cellar is filling up very fast and I dont think we've even pulled half of the storage beets and carrots.  I hope everything fits!
This week just gone our focus has been garlic and we've spent most of our time cracking garlic bulbs - that is breaking them open and then dividing the cloves and keeping the biggest to use for seed. Growing organic garlic on a small scale is very labour intensive, everything is done by hand. We spent an afternoon planting in perfect weather, blue skies and warm! We're now about half way there with getting all the garlic in the ground, just another 15,000 or so to go...
Cracker-Jack

just the tip of the iceberg


the crew
Not much else to report. four weeks until I fly home, looking forward to it, though will be sad to say goodbye to my chums here.
Been thinking quite a bit about plans for when I return home and have been pooring over seed catalogues and envisioning my garden for next season. There is the possibility that I may get my hands on an allotment, I was just thinking about it the other day and then today when i turned on my phone I had a voicemail from the allotment people back home saying they have available plots, weird eh?! Love it when things happen like that.

Big love

Becky x

No comments:

Post a Comment