Sunday 27 May 2012

This little piggy went to market


It’s currently 7am Sunday morning while I am writing this, in the kitchen with a big cup of Earl Grey at my side and the barn cats scampering around my feet.
Another working week has drawn to a close. I can’t believe I’ve only been here for a little over two weeks now, it feels like so much longer; the days go by so quickly.

Yesterday I went to my first market in a small town called Carp just outside Ottawa.  As it’s early in the season we don’t have a huge variety for sale right now, but there was still an abundance of produce.  I think we did pretty well, though Kylah said it wasn’t as busy as last week, but then it was a bank holiday weekend last week, so more people could have been out for that.  This week we were selling oak leaf lettuce mix, spinach, arugula (rocket to us British folk), radish, wet garlic(young garlic), and leeks.  So many people were surprised that everything was grown outside, commenting that veggies in their own gardens weren’t so far ahead.  That’s part of the game in growing organic veggies, getting to market with firsts of the season which fetch a higher price. The early bird catches the worm and all that…
 Our market stall

The market was fun and was nice to have a working day that was different to being on the farm itself, plus I got to browse the stalls and admire the beautiful things for sale.  There was a lady who made jewellery from vintage silver cutlery, sounds a bit odd, but her stuff was beautiful.  Plus another lady who had some absolutely gorgeous hand-woven pashminas and shrug type garments, with pretty prices too around $180! I may have to save up for one.  There was a lady selling herbs, and as ever I cannot resist buying herbs; so I bought myself a lemon verbena (one of my all-time favourites) and also a peach scented sage.  They will grace the deck of my little cabin once we move up to the farm at the beginning of July.  Hopefully someone will look after them when I’ve gone.  The cabins are not far from being finished now, all three have their basic structure up, they just need the siding put in place, doors and windows to be installed and the decks to be built.  They look pretty funny, being tall and narrow, we are now referring to them as the Elf Cabins.  I’m really excited about getting to move into one, though I am still enjoying living in the tent. Leah and I were sharing up until Tuesday as her tent broke on the first night! So I have the tent to myself now, and it is so big without another person in there!  I’m glad I wont be in there when we get into autumn however, as I think It will just be too cold for me to be comfortable in a tent.  We’ve had one night in May that was around 2˚C and that was blimmin’ cold, I don’t want to even imagine what it would be like when the temperature dips below freezing.  I think the cabins will be a lot warmer!

 Sleeping under an apple tree.

 My palacial pad

What’s been happening on the farm this week? 
As ever there has been a bucket load of weeding, mostly carrots and beetroot which need delicate hand weeding.  It’s so disheartening to spend a whole day hand weeding a bed of carrots and then looking at it a few days later and seeing that it needs doing again.  I don’t mind weeding at all, it just feels a bit futile at times  and the amount of man-hours needed to complete the task is staggering.  It feels like we are playing catch up a lot right now as there is so much to do.  Other than weeding we have been doing some more transplanting; this week we planted spring onions, parsley, Jerusalem artichokes and watermelons; I am SO excited for the watermelons.  We also direct sowed more squash and I seeded lots of kale and chard in modules.
Things in general are growing well on the farm, there are the first flowers on the tomatoes, the garlic is growing tall and the salad crops are growing at an amazing speed. We do need more rain however, and the agriculture information body in Canada have given severe drought predictions for this summer which is worrying.  Zach said he has seen it get drier every year he has farmed here in the last six years, and Bob who owns the beef farm where we are living at the moment said last year was the driest he’s seen and he’s been farming for sixty years!  Zach and Kylah have invested in an irrigation system which has just been installed, it consists of a drip hose system to water the cucurbit (cucumber family) beds and the poly tunnels and sprinkler systems for the fields.  

Talking of water we did have some rain on Tuesday after the loudest thunder storm I have ever heard! And that was only a mild mini storm, apparently they get a lot bigger and a lot louder, it probably sounds like the world is going to end if they get any louder than the other day.  It was impressive, I love thunder storms; crazy moments of physics going on in the sky.  It would be amazing to capture some lightening on camera, but it’s notoriously difficult to photograph. I may give it a go if the chance arises again.

Animal encounters
This week I saw a groundhog while out exploring the farm pastures and watching the sunset.  At first I thought I was one of the farm cats as I could see something moving through the tall grass about 20 metres or so away, but then it popped it’s head up and it wasn’t a cat, it was a groundhog!

 The sunset I was watching when I saw the groundhog

On Friday lunchtime as Leah, Jackson and I sat beneath a big old oak tree, we watched a Northern Harrier gracefully ride the wind as it scoured the grassland below for small rodents. Earlier in the week I also saw two huge vultures swooping through the sky, riding the thermals. I want to come back as a bird in another life.

 I've finally managed to snap one of the beautiful butterflies here too.

Well I think I’ve rambled enough, so until next week…

Much love

Becky

1 comment: