Monday 23 July 2012

Food heaven and thunderstorms


I’m sitting in the barn kitchen by the doorway watching an on-coming thunderstorm and relaxing after what has been one of the most physically demanding and busy weeks so far.  I feel like I’ve lifted and carried tonnes of stuff this week and I’m definitely getting stronger, I can lift much heavier things than I could two months ago.  I’m gonna have biceps of steel! 

The garlic harvest continued for most of the week and thanks to the help of volunteers we pulled the last bulbs from the ground on Thursday afternoon.  We still have hundreds if not thousands of bulbs left to hang for drying, but that’s fine; our priority was to get all the garlic out of the ground as many of the stems had started to rot from the short burst of rain we had on Sunday evening.  It can rain all it wants now and we can get on with the task of hanging the garlic knowing the crop wont be ruined. 
  
And how we need the rain!  I’ve written about the drought in previous blogs, but we are now in a serious situation, it’s now the driest it’s been in a hundred years, with little sign of a let up.  many farmers are in crisis.  As I sit here typing the storm is rolling in fast, and I think it’s going to be a biggie…

…So, I’ve just come back to the computer after standing in the rain watching the storm for the past half hour.  The tension in the air so thick it makes the hair on my arms and back of my neck stand on end.  The lightening is truly spectacular, the tiny thunderstorms we get back in the UK are nothing in comparison. Here the lightening comes bolt after successive bolt, forking across the sky and down to the ground and the thunder rumbles deep and low and often so loud it sounds like the sky is cracking in half.  And we even got a little bit of rain.

Back to the farm, this week I’ve been in utter food heaven.  We picked the first aubergine and watermelons, my favourite vegetable and fruit.  The watermelon was so good, fresh, sweet and warm from the sun as we all scoffed it Thursday lunchtime. 
Delicious and sweet yellow watermelon
Getting my chops around a slice!

 We’ve had some really good veggie feast dinners this week, making good use of all the abundant veggies. We made pasta on Thursday with a really simple tomato sauce made from scratch and aubergine and courgette.  Simple food, but was one of the best meals we’ve made so far.  When you grow your own food and eat seasonally the appreciation for the food on your plate is huge, and you enjoy it so much more.

Much love

Becky x


No comments:

Post a Comment