Monday 30 July 2012

Notorious G.O.A.T


 Moca, Blackie and Fennel

Blackie, the male goat kid, met his end this week; and I’m not all that sure how to write about it.  It’s been a highly significant event for me during my stay here, but also a very intense and quite traumatic one.

We’ve talked about eating the goat for a number of weeks, and last week Kylah came to us and said that Tuesday would be the day.  Blackie had reached sexual maturity and was trying to mate with his sister and also he was of the age where he would need to start being wormed, and the meat can’t be eaten once they are given worming treatment.  

It was good timing as Ebe, Zach’s brother, was due to leave on Wednesday.  He’d been here for a month helping out on the farm, so the goat roast was a nice farewell dinner.

So, despite having been a vegan for around two years, I said I was happy to eat the meat.  Being vegan hasn’t been an ethical choice for me, I simply feel and function better when I don’t eat meat and dairy, so on this occasion deciding to eat meat was easy.

Tuesday came around and I was adamant that I wanted to watch the goat being slaughtered, I felt that if I was going to eat the goat then I should be able to watch it being killed; and watch I did.  Jackson did the deed, he’s had experience with slaughtering sheep, and he was confident in doing it.  He did it with minimal stress to Blackie, with respect and without hesitation.  What I was not prepared for was the blood curdling scream that Blackie cried out as Jackson cut his throat.  It was humanely done and over very quickly, but was still far from being a nice way to die, but is there ever a nice way to die?  I wanted to experience and fully comprehend the cold hard reality of eating meat, watching the animal being killed, and it was one of the most intense experiences of my life.

The rest of the day was very enjoyable, it takes quite a lot of preparation, work and time to spit roast a goat.  Leah and I made the fire that provided the coals for the roasting pit, and proud we were of it!  Jackson skinned and gutted the goat and then stuffed the cavity with a tonne of veggies and herbs, before it was placed on the spit and roasted for five hours.

Woman made fire, ug ug.

Jackosn shovelling coals and Ebe constructing an oven like contraption around the roasting pit.
Roasting away, the crowd is getting hungry.

 We eventually sat down to eat at around 9pm, by candle light, and Jackson’s dad (Jim) who had come up for the day with Jack’s sister said a very nice thanksgiving before we tucked in.  the meat was delicious and the atmosphere was wonderful.  After eating we sat around the fire late into the night, singing, playing music, and drinking beer as the milky way spilled across the night sky above us.  A wonderfully memorable night spent with wonderful people.
Night falling, Jim strums the ukulele by the roasting pit.
The aftermath for me has been the replaying of Blackie’s slaughter in my head a lot, I didn’t realise at the time just how deeply I would be affected.  It’s particularly difficult as I knew Blackie, I’d spent time with him and that’s what plays over in my head. Seeing him alive and then seeing his dying moments. I will spare you the (literal) gory details, but I wont be eating meat again, as I don’t want an animal to have to go through that just for me to be able to eat something that isn’t necessary for me to live.

Bon appѐtit

Becky x

No comments:

Post a Comment