Monday 6 August 2012

Fruity feasts


I’m sitting down to write after eating a hearty breakfast of pancakes with local seasonal fruit; peaches, blackberries, cherries and plums, delicious.  I love eating seasonally and the excitement it brings when I get to taste the ‘firsts’ of the season, it makes me appreciate food so much more.  This week we picked the first grapes which have been growing in a tucked away corner of the farm, I didn’t even realise they were there until recently.  The grapes are small, but sweet and delicious, a wonderful treat for a hot Saturday afternoon.

It’s been a very fruity week, we harvested watermelons for CSA and have been feasting on the extras. I could eat watermelon all day long, and I never in a million years thought that they would grow here, they are one of the food highlight’s for me here.  It’s so nice to see a crop full circle too, I planted the watermelon seedlings in the first couple of weeks of being here, and now we’re eating them. It struck me the other day just how quick that has been, maybe three months might feel like a long wait for some, but I’m still amazed by just how quickly a plant can go from a tiny seed to a harvestable crop.

Watermelon harvest. so much delicousness!

Talking of time, how did August come around so quickly?  I remember thinking when I arrived that it would be ages before summer was in full swing, but here we are now already in summers gradual decline and soon the fall will set in.  I’m really looking forward to autumn, cooler more comfortable days, (hopefully) less mosquitos and the trees turning to fiery  hues.

We will hopefully be moving up to the farm in a couple of weeks (we’re still on Bob’s farm).  The intern cabins are finished, we’re just waiting on the bathroom and the kitchen to be complete in the main building and then we can relocate.  It will be nice living on the farm and I’m excited about moving, though I think it will be strange sleeping inside a cabin after spending three months in a tent.  I’ll miss sleeping outside, the cabin feels so much more closed in than the tent despite being twice as big.  I feel very connected to nature, her rhythms and the elements with just a canvas canopy over my head.  However I’m sure I’ll be grateful to be in the cabin when the weather gets colder!

The August full moon.  It's so bright here it light's up my tent at night.


This coming Saturday and Sunday is Garlic Fest at the Carp Framers Market, so we’ve spent a good amount of time this week processing the garlic we hung for curing.  Zach taught us how to braid in different styles according to the type of garlic.  Soft neck garlic gets braided in a traditional plait, where as hard neck garlic has more of a stacking method.  Braiding soft neck is tricky and my few attempts were pretty shoddy.  I much prefer braiding hard neck garlic, and thankfully that’s what we have the most of.
'Korean Purple' variety garlic braids; made by fair English hands.

Here’s to a busy and garlicky week ahead!

Much love

Becky x

No comments:

Post a Comment